Downtown Decatur named in Top 10 list of “great neighborhoods”
A national planning organization has listed Decatur’s downtown among it’s 10 Great Neighborhoods for 2013.
According to a press release, the nonprofit American Planning Association included downtown Decatur because of “the neighborhood’s emphasis on sustainability, transportation alternatives and mixed uses; community engagement and long-term commitment to downtown revitalization.”
APA also liked Decatur’s “measures to protect neighborhood character, such as building height limits so as to not compromise the downtown skyline.”
“Downtown Decatur is a longtime proponent of sustainable practices considering the first trolley line to operate between Decatur and Atlanta dates back to the 1840s,” APA CEO Paul Farmer said in a press release. “Through its plans and revitalization efforts, downtown Decatur is managing change so the neighborhood is attractive to people of all ages, from new professionals to families with children to retirees.”
So who else made the list?
- Historic Licking Riverside Neighborhood, Covington, KY
- West Freemason, Norfolk, VA
- Downtown Norwich, Norwich, CT
- Williamson-Marquette Neighborhood, Madison, WI
- Chinatown, San Francisco, CA
- Downtown Mason City, Mason City, IA
- Kenwood, Minneapolis, MN
- Central Street Neighborhood, Evanston, IL
- Beaufort Historic District, Beaufort, SC