Collaboration – Arts co-op planned in Avondale
A group of artists plans to open cooperative maker space in Tudor Square.
Mayor Ed Rieker first announced the co-op during his recent state of the city speech at the Towne Cinema. Garage Door Studio will open directly behind the old movie theater. The studio will host summer camps this year.
The five founding artists are:
– Lou Callaway – A goldsmith and jewelry designer.
– Rachel Herzog – An artist who sews using cashmere and wool.
– Patty Rollins – A jewelry designer
– Jen Newman – An artist who makes fashion accessories for babies.
– Jen Singh – An artist, illustrator and graphic designer.
Singh toured the studio space after Rieker’s speech on March 24.
“We’re starting as arts summer camps,” she said, adding, “It’s not just your typical arts camps. It’s real hands on stuff.”
The camps will include classes on things mixed media and leather working.
Callaway said via Facebook message that there will also be an open house at the end of April.
“We are aiming for our opening date to be the beginning of June,” Callaway said. “We are planning an open house Sunday, April 27th in the adjacent event space. There we will have our architectural renderings and information about our plans for Garage Door. All are Welcome!”
To learn more about the upcoming art summer camps, click here.