Job creation – Decatur budget has 5 new positions
If Decatur’s city commission approves the current draft of the budget, it will add five new positions to the city’s payroll.
The city says there will be new income to cover the extra staff. Some of that revenue will come from increased activity fees, but the city hasn’t released information about how much fees will increase.
Assistant City Manager Andrea Arnold gave city commissioners an update on the $21.8 million Fiscal Year 2015 budget during the June 2 City Commission meeting.
Mayor Jim Baskett made a point of noting that the five new jobs will have offsetting revenue.
“A cursory look at the budget shows an increase in personnel … but you have to read into it to realize that every single one of them is covered by the fee structures,” he said.
According to the budget documents published on the city’s website, spending on full time salaries will increase by $635,840, which includes the new positions and a 3 percent cost of living raise for full time employees.
The cost for the new positions will be $450,150.
According to Arnold, the new full time positions are:
– A parking attendant, with offsetting revenue coming from parking fees. Budget documents show the city staff estimates a $264,000 increase in parking revenue because of new meters and Saturday ticketing.
– A program supervisor for the Beacon Municipal Center, with the offsetting revenues coming from facility rentals.
– A program supervisor for the Active Living Department that will be paid for with program fees.
– A full time site director for the Westchester Elementary after-school program that will paid by program fees. Westchester Elementary will reopen this fall.
– A school resource officer that will be paid for by the city schools of Decatur. “The schools requested that position,” Arnold said. “They pay for 10 of the 12 months.”
Arnold said the new fee schedule is being developed. She told commissioners that the city compared its fee structure with facility rentals in other cities and “found there is definitely some room” for an increase.