Weekend Roadwork – Still working on I-20
This is starting to become familiar.
The Georgia Department of Transportation says I-20 “remains (the) focal point of weekend construction.”
“If the weather cooperates this weekend, continuing Interstate Highway 20 construction projects in the Metropolitan Atlanta area – one on the westside; one eastside and two in downtown Atlanta – will again make I-20 travel problematic,” the announcement from GDOT says. “The Georgia Department of Transportation is advising motorists simply to stay off this interstate if possible.”
On GDOT’s list of projects this weekend.
– In downtown and into DeKalb County there will be overnight re-striping of I-20 eastbound between Boulevard and Gresham Road. GDOT will close three lanes from 8 pm until 6 am Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. “In addition downtown, emergency bridge repairs on the Westview Drive overpass above I-20 will require double I-20 lane closures in both directions between 9 pm, Friday, and 6 am, Saturday, between Martin Luther King, Jr., Drive and Langhorn Street,” GDOT says.
– I-20 in Rockdale and Newtwon Counties will see two westbound right lane closures between Almon and Alcovy roads between 9 pm Friday until 5 am Monday. “Long delays are expected,” GDOT says. There will also be a bridge maintenance project on the east side of Covington on Sunday afternoon, resulting in two eastbound lanes until 10 am on June 13.
– In Douglas County there will be two east-bound lane closures on I-20 between State Route 5 and Liberty Road. The closures will be from 9 pm to 5 am each night this weekend. “Again, significant backups are probable,” GDOT says.
– There will be sign work on I-285 northbound and southbound in Cobb County between Cobb Parkway and Riverside Drive. That will require periodic double lane closures over the weekend. There will always be two lanes open to traffic, GDOT says. “Other sign work will close one northbound lane from 6 am., until, 5:30 pm, Saturday, between Atlanta Road and New Northside Drive,” GDOT says.
– From 7 pm Friday until 5 am Monday, one north and southbound lane on US 41/State Route 3 at Canton Road in Cobb will be closed for bridge work. “Canton Road will be closed entirely at this location from 7 pm Friday, until 2 am, Saturday,” GDOT says.
District 3 DeKalb Commissioner Larry Johnson forwarded along the traffic update from GDOT.