Atlanta Police: Auto thefts up in Zone 6
Keep an eye on your cars, folks. Atlanta Police report that there’s been an increase in auto thefts in Zone 6, which includes Kirkwood.
According to crime statistics released by APD, there were 18 auto thefts for the week ending Aug. 9. That’s up 29 percent compared with the same week last year, but auto thefts year to date are still down by 33 percent.
Here are the auto thefts for our area listed in the report. All information was provided by Atlanta Police and is presumed to be accurate.
– A vehicle was stolen from a service station on Memorial Drive SE on Aug. 3, a blue Infiniti. According to the report, “Victim left car running and unattended while she ran inside to purchase some lottery tickets.”
– A vehicle was stolen from Rogers Street on Aug. 3. According to the report, “Victim states no other person has keys to the vehicle and this is not the first time this vehicle has been stolen from the same location.”
– A vehicle was stolen from Alder Court on Aug. 8, a black Ford. It was parked on the street.
– A vehicle was stolen from the 100 block of Marona Street NE on Aug. 4, a silver Dodge.
– There was a reported theft from a vehicle on Aug. 7 on the 1200 block of Caroline Street. According to the report, someone stole the car’s ignition and damaged the driver-side door lock.
– A vehicle was stolen from a residence on the 1500 block of May Avenue SE on Aug. 5. According to the police report, “The victim stated that he was inside his house with his wife all evening and did not hear any suspicious sounds outside.”
– A vehicle was stolen from the 1700 block of Glenwood Avenue SE on Aug. 6, a black Ford. According to the police report, “The victim stated that while he was working near his vehicle, the suspect drove away in his vehicle (keys in vehicle). Two witnesses saw the suspect but gave slightly differing descriptions.”
The description given in the report is a white male, clean shaven (or scruffy bear), short haircut, black collared shirt (or white T-shirt) 30 to 35 years old.