GDOT: avoid I-285 travel this weekend
The Georgia Department of Transportation is warning drivers to avoid non-essential travel on Interstate 285 this weekend.
It’s working on several projects that will require lane closures, and thus, delays.
Here are the projects slated for this weekend:
· On I-20, three eastbound lanes will close between Langhorn Street and McDaniel Street and two westbound lanes will close between the I-75/I-85 interchange and Lee Street, continuously from 9 p.m., Friday, until 5 a.m., Monday, for bridge joint replacement;
· Two westbound lanes will close on I-20 between Six Flags Parkway and Fulton Industrial Boulevard, continuously from 9 p.m., Friday, until 5 a.m., Monday;
· Paving on I-20 will require one eastbound lane and one westbound lane and shoulder to close between SR 12/US 78 and SR 20/SR 138/ Stockbridge Highway from continuously from 9 p.m., Friday, until 5 a.m., Monday;
· Two southbound lanes will close on I-285 at Riverside Drive from 9 p.m., Friday, until 5 a.m., Monday for sign structure work;
· Sign structure work will also require two northbound lanes to close on I-285 between Northlake Parkway and Chamblee Tucker Road from 7:30 p.m., Friday, until 3 p.m., Saturday;
· More sign structure work will require one eastbound lane on I-285 to close at SR 14 Spur/SR 279/ Old National Highway and one lane to close on the I-285 eastbound ramp to I-85 from 9 p.m., Friday, until 5 a.m., Monday;
· Two southbound lanes on I-285 will close between Bolton Road and South Atlanta Road and two northbound lanes will close between SR 280/ South Cobb Drive and South Atlanta Road continuously from 9 p.m., Friday, until 5 a.m., Monday;
· Bridge work on Spaghetti Junction will require one lane to close on the ramp from I-85 southbound to I-285 westbound and part of the I-285 westbound exit ramp to SR 13/US 23/ Buford Highway will close continuously from 9 p.m., Friday, until 5 a.m., Monday;
· On I-85, one northbound lane will close between Jimmy Carter Boulevard and Indian Trail Road from 7 a.m., until 5 p.m., Saturday;
· On Georgia (State Route) 400, one southbound lane will close between the Toll Plaza and just south of Lenox Road from 7 a.m., Saturday until 7 p.m., Sunday for fiber optic cable installation;
· The Express Lanes project will require one northbound and one southbound lane to close on I-75 between Chastain Road and the Big Shanty Road overpass and one lane will close on Cumberland Boulevard between Akers Mill Road and Interstate North Parkway from 9 p.m., Friday, until 5 a.m., Saturday;
· One lane will close on SR 280/South Cobb Drive between SR 5/Austell Rod and I-285 and one lane on SR 5/ Austell Road starting from SR 280/South Cobb Drive to the Fulton County Line continuously from 9 p.m., Saturday until 5 a.m., Monday for resurfacing;
· Resurfacing will also require one lane to close on SR 6/Thornton Road between SR 8/ Veterans Memorial Highway and I-20 from 9 p.m., Friday, until 5 a.m., Monday;
· Pipeline construction will require one lane closure at SR 237/Piedmont Road and Habersham Road from 8 a.m., until 5 p.m., Saturday; and finally
· On SR 154/ Memorial Drive, one lane will close between the Moreland Avenue and Wilkinson Drive and one lane will close on SR 154/ Memorial Drive between East Lake Drive and Candler Road both closures are from 9 a.m., until 3 p.m., Saturday.