Decaturish.com wins three Creative Loafing Awards
For the second year in a row, Decaturish has won Best Local Blog and Best Local Blogger in the annual Creative Loafing Best of ATL awards.
Decaturish also picked up a third award this year: Best Journalist, awarded to Editor and Publisher Dan Whisenhunt.
There are a lot of people who contributed to this. Our subscribers are an important part of our success. Our 171 (and counting) subscribers kick in $6 a month to help us keep providing comprehensive and balanced coverage of our community. In return subscribers receive special deals from our advertisers and of course, our gratitude. They keep the news free for everyone and not stuck behind a pay wall.
If you haven’t subscribed yet, please consider doing so.
You can also support Decaturish by making a one-time donation. People who make donations in excess of $70 dollars are included in our subscriber count and added to our email list so they can receive deals, updates, etc.
On a personal note, I want to thank my wife Katrina who gave me the OK to work from home and build this business. I’ve also got to thank my six-month old son, JP, who reminds me of what’s important (and who is remarkably unimpressed with his dad’s achievement).
Thanks also go to our awesome Associate Editor Dena Mellick, our wonderful columnist Nick Salcedo, and all of our other contributors. I’m fortunate to be surrounded by smart, talented people. A special thanks goes to my friends Jared van Aalten and Ryan MacPherson who have provided me with invaluable technical assistance along the way. Of course, all praises be to our ad salesman, Jeff Cochran, who has helped grow our business and protect our editorial integrity.
Congrats to the other winners in our readership area, too, including:
– Bill Bolling, a Decatur City Commissioner and founder of the Atlanta Community food bank, who won the critic’s choice award for Best Nonprofit Leader.
– Decatur, winner of Best Suburb
– The Memorial Drive Corridor Study, the critic’s choice for Best Planning Vision
– Oakhurst Garden at the Wylde Center, winner of Best Community Garden
– Decatur Book Festival, winner of the Best Book Event and Best Literary Event
– Eddie’s Attic, winner of Best Place to Hear Local Music and Best Acoustic Music Venue
– Kimball House, winner of Best Cocktail Bar
– Twain’s Brewpub and Billiards, winner of Best Place to Play Pool
– Dish Dive, critic’s pick for Best Breath of Fresh Air
– Kevin Gillespie, tied for winner of Best Chef
– Chai Pani, winner of Best Indian restaurant
– Doggy Dogg’s, critic’s choice for Best Hot Dog
– Taqueria del Sol, winner of Best Tacos
– Victory Sandwich Bar, winner of Best Sandwiches
– Afternoon Delight, winner of Best Cocktail, served at Kimball House
– Souper Jenny, winner of Best Soup
– Finders Keepers, winner of Best Consignment Store
– Your DeKalb Farmers Market, winner of Best Specialty Market and Best Place to Buy Organic
– Kudzu Antique Market, winner of Best Antique Store
– The Village Vet Clinic, winner of Best Vet Clinic
– Brick Store Pub, inducted into Creative Loafing’s Trophy Case this year
To see the full list of this year’s winners, click here.