Decaturish.com is closed for Thanksgiving
In observance of the Thanksgiving holiday, Decaturish.com is taking the day off. We hope you all enjoy your day.
A few things we are thankful for:
– Members of our military and local law enforcement who work year-round to keep us safe.
– Freedom of Speech, which allows us to tell the truth and hold our officials accountable.
If you’re out and about shopping this weekend, we strongly encourage you to keep the local economy strong by supporting independently-owned businesses near you. We also encourage you to support our advertisers who are helping us keep the news free for everyone.
On that note, if you plan to do any shopping, Lt. Jennifer Ross with the Decatur Police Department has some helpful tips for you:
What many believe to be the “official” holiday shopping season starts this Friday. With Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday upon us, it is a good time to take a minute and review some safety and prevention tips.
While Out & About:
– Be alert, aware and trust your instincts. If a situation does not feel right, pull to another part of a parking lot or walk back into a store.
– Beware of “looking” unaware by talking/texting on your phone, digging in bags or sitting parked in your vehicle after arriving or before leaving. Predators are looking for targets that seem to not be paying attention.
– Park in well-lit, populated areas.
– Place packages and bags out of view in your vehicle, either in the trunk or under a cargo shade.
– If you return to your vehicle to unload items with the intent to return shopping, move your vehicle.
– Have packages shipped to your office or work location or to the home of a friend or relative who is home during the day.
– Request that a signature be required to deliver the package.
– Use the services offered by various shipping companies that allow for tracking and rerouting packages.
– Track packages and ask a trusted neighbor to look out and take the packages in when they arrive.
– When traveling, make sure to ask a family member, friend or neighbor to check for packages at your home. You may have received a gift delivery you were not expecting.
– If you observe people you do not recognize on a neighbor’s property, pay attention and if it appears they are removing packages, call police immediately and provide a detailed description of the person and direction of travel and description of a vehicle if present.
While At Home:
– Secure your home! Make sure doors and windows are locked even when you are only taking a short walk, going to dinner or inside your home.
– If you have a burglar alarm, use it every time you leave and when your family is in for the evening.
– Acknowledge knocks on your door that you are not expecting by speaking through the door or a window. It is a common tactic for burglars to knock to confirm nobody is home before they break-in.
– If you are headed out of town, ask a neighbor to park one of their cars in your driveway and submit an “Out of Town House Check” through the SeeClickFix Apphttp://www.decaturga.com/ residents/make-a-request or by calling the police department non-emergency number at404/373-6551.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.