Revised Callaway building plans show less residential, more office
The city of Decatur has published an updated proposal to transform the Callaway Building at 120 West Trinity Place into a mixed-use development.
City Commissioners will review the proposed revisions to the proposal during their March 21 meeting.
Cousins Properties, has added more office space to the project. According to a document provided by the city, the developer has:
– Reduced the number of residential units overall by 40 units (from 369 to 329).
– Added 30,000 sf of upper floor office space to the building in the northeast corner of the site.
– Removed a round entry lobby on the southwest side of the new office building and a pedestrian bridge originally designed to connect upper floor residential uses.
– Provided for a total of 721 parking spaces (an increase of 19 parking spaces to accommodate the increased office space).
– Removed the black box theater space and replaced it with three additional live work units to create three more small office options for a total of eight live work units.
To view the renderings for the project, click here.
The city has an agreement with Cousins Properties to redevelop the 5.25 acre site. The city purchased the property from DeKalb County using $5.12 million borrowed by issuing bonds. Plans for the building go back to at least 2011.
In August, commissioners balked at approving variances for the project, citing too much residential and not enough commercial spaces in the plans.
According to the information provided by the city, “Downtown Decatur has not had a new office building built since 1991 and our office occupancy rates continue to be among the strongest in the Atlanta metro region. This new office building allows us to prove the depth of our market for new office product and will help attract additional office development downtown. New office product allows us to maintain a healthy balance of residential, retail and commercial uses downtown.”
The City Commission meeting will begin at 7:30 p.m. and will be held at City Hall, located at 509 North McDonough Street. All meetings are open to the public.