UPDATE: Stonecrest bill moving ahead, Greenhaven stalled
Two proposed south DeKalb County cities – Stonecrest and Greenhaven – are under consideration as the current Legislative session winds down.
Meanwhile, a bill that is intended to reform the cityhood process Senate Bill 375, also appears to be stuck. The bill, which contains recommendations that arose out of a study committe:
– Requires a financial impact and service delivery study of new cities
– Requires the study to determine the financial impact on remaining unincorporated areas
– Requires an estimate of the financial impact on any pension obligations on the county government
– Requires estimate of the impact of utility and franchise fees on customers within the proposed city
– Requires a service delivery strategy that identifies the services the new city intends to offer and how these services will be funded
“This bill would greatly improve the way in which we create cities in this state and we are working to make it the law,” state Sen. Elena Parent said in an email to her constituents.