Atlanta sales tax referendum could raise $2.5 billion for MARTA projects
This November, Atlanta voters will decide whether to raise taxes by a half penny to provide $2.5 billion in MARTA project funding over the next 40 years.
The referendum is set for Nov. 8. The Atlanta City Council unanimously approved the referendum on Monday, June 20.
According to MARTA, the projects that could be funded include:
– A light-rail line that would connect areas of southwest Atlanta
– A transit station at Greenbriar Mall
– On-demand circulators that operate in neighborhoods
– Infill stations
– Additional fixed-bus routes and other enhancements
– Expansion initiatives that would link to the Atlanta BeltLine as well as MARTA’s existing bus-and-rail network
MARTA provided the following transportation outlining some of the projects that could be funded if the referendum passes:
Correction: An earlier version of this story provided an incorrect date. This story has been updated with the correct information.