Cityhood: LaVista Hills shutters website, Greenhaven has ‘new direction’
Two groups seeking to create new cities in DeKalb County have announced changes in how they operate.
Supporters for the proposed cities of Greenhaven and LaVista Hills each sent messages to supporters last week. Greenhaven announced via email that Kathryn Rice, President of Concerned Citizens for Cityhood of South DeKalb, is moving in a “new direction.”
“At this time, I have chosen to pursue a different path and direction that will enhance our efforts toward business and economic development in south DeKalb,” she said. “Both paths are needed and will help create the city of Greenhaven.” She said she will no longer be responding to inquiries sent to Greenhaven’s official email account. CCCSD recently elected a new board chair, Isaac Finley.
Rice indicated she will still be involved with working to get Greenhaven on the ballot. The issue did not advance in the 2016 session of the Georgia Legislature. Another south DeKalb city, Stonecrest, did make it through the Legislature and will be on the ballot in November.
LaVista Hills was on the ballot in November of last year, but it was narrowly defeated. Following the election, allegations of voting irregularities prompted an investigation by the Secretary of State’s Office. Decaturish has asked about the investigation on an almost weekly basis since it was announced. Officials with the Secretary of State’s Office say the investigation continues and have given no indication of when it might conclude.
“We cannot disclose any information related to the investigation until it is scheduled for a hearing in front of the State Election Board,” spokesperson Candice Broce said in March. The responses since then have been pretty much the same.
One June 23, LaVista Hills YES, the lead advocacy group for the cityhood movement, published a statement on Facebook stating that the organization has formally requested an update from the Secretary of State’s Office.
“The fact that the investigation has been ongoing for seven months indicates that there may have been significant irregularities found – but we still do not have a target date for a final report,” the Facebook message says. “This week, we have written the SOS’s office asking that we receive a final decision about the issues surrounding the LaVista Hills referendum. We hope to have a reply soon and will post it as soon as it is received.”
The group said it is suspending its website – http://lavistahills.nationbuilder.com/ – and will post future updates on its Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/LaVistaHillsYES/.